KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Ink (Paper Gods #1)

Ink  - Amanda Sun

On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive.

"But I'd seen the real him, that he was deeper and different and changed. Now I couldn't imagine a world without him in it. My heart was glass - easy to see through, simple to break."

What a fantastic debut. I can't believe how much I genuinely loved this book. I've been meaning to read Ink for such a long time and after reading the prequel ebook late last month I couldn't wait to get started on reading it. I was not disappointed whatsoever. I think this is without a doubt one of the more unique and different books I have ever read. In the YA Paranormal genre there are so many books that are similar floating around there it's hard to find a book that is something completely new. Ink was definitely a breath of fresh air for the genre. I was completely taken with this book and I am a Amanda Sun fan for sure after this incredible debut.

Katie's life has been turned upside down. After the tragic and sudden death of her mother she is suddenly shipped to Japan to live with her Aunt. Faced with a country where she doesn't fully understand the language and in a completely new culture that she has to adapt to. As if that isn't stressful enough Katie is sure that whenever the school's bad boy Tomohiro is around strange things are happening. His drawing are moving... but that's not possible. Katie is determined to find out Tomohiro's secret but is she barking on a dangerous journey that she may not make it out of?

Amanda Sun really surprised me with her incredible writing style. For debut novels I really tend to find that the writing style isn't perfect but it doesn't matter because come on... it's a debut. That didn't occur in Ink. Amanda's writing style was just so addicting right from the start. I just had to keep on reading to find out what was going to happen. My attention was completely drawn in right from the start and it's all down to Amanda's superb writing style.

Katie... ah what a great female protagonist. I really loved her from having read the prequel, Shadow, but my love for her just grew and grew the more than I read. I love how strong she was and even though there were moments where she thought she was going crazy she was still determined to find the truth regardless of the circumstances. I thought she was just awesome and strong and that's my favourite thing in heroines in YA literature.

Tomohiro is one twisted guy. Not in a bad way in a "I have evil things chasing me so can't be loved by anyone" way. He has so much going on and pushed everyone away. I just wanted to reach into the book and give him a big hug. I have to admit I kind of hated him at the start of the book. I just thought he was an absolute asshole and he just made me really angry. Just once I would like to have a YA hero who isn't an absolute asshole at the beginning! But the more I read the more I started to love him and he definitely won me over in the end.

Ink is without a doubt one of the most unique storylines I have ever read. I thought it was fantastic and something completely new that I haven't come across before. The thing that completely kept me reading was this new storyline. It made it so easy to keep reading and finish the majority of the book in one sitting. I absolutely adored that Ink was set in Japan. I really felt like it was so eye-opening to that country and culture. I loved that it made you feel like you were experiencing this new country and culture for yourself as well. It's so culturally eye-opening and I loved that.

The only tiny issue I had with Ink is that near the end when all the exciting stuff starts happening there is an inconsistency in the story. I felt like it was a big thing to be missed and it really bugged me and knocked my rating down. As much as that still bugged me I loved this book. I thought it was superb and I genuinelly cannot wait to get my hands on book 2 in the series. Roll on March 2014.

"It was my destiny.
I was going to find it.
It was my life.
I was going to live it."