KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Perfect Ruin (Internment Chronicles #1)

Perfect Ruin (Internment Chronicles, #1) - Lauren DeStefano

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Chemical Garden trilogy: On the floating city of Internment, you can be anything you dream. Unless you approach the edge.

Morgan Stockhour knows getting too close to the edge of Internment, the floating city in the clouds where she lives, can lead to madness. Even though her older brother, Lex, was a Jumper, Morgan vows never to end up like him. If she ever wonders about the ground, and why it is forbidden, she takes solace in her best friend, Pen, and in Basil, the boy she’s engaged to marry.

Then a murder, the first in a generation, rocks the city. With whispers swirling and fear on the wind, Morgan can no longer stop herself from investigating, especially once she meets Judas. Betrothed to the victim, he is the boy being blamed for the murder, but Morgan is convinced of his innocence. Secrets lay at the heart of Internment, but nothing can prepare Morgan for what she will find – or whom she will lose.

"It doesn't matter if it's in the sky or on the ground. I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Perfect Ruin was one of my most anticipated reads of this year. I fell in love with Lauren DeStefano when Wither first released. I fell in love with her incredible writing style and her Chemical Garden Series remains to be one of my favourites of all time. To hear about her brand new series I was so beyond excited. A huge thank you goes to my good friend Bekah from Reflections of a Bookworm for lending me her ARC of Perfect Ruin.

Morgan lives in Internment. A city floating in the sky. Most people on Internment have everything they want and wouldn't dream of anything else. But Morgan dreams of the ground. All she wants is to see the ground and experience it for herself. Internment is too small for Morgan. But she must keep her dreams to herself as going to the edge and going to the ground is forbidden. Internment is small, but safe. Until a murder rocks the city. Suddenly Internment isn't too safe and there are secrets that could destroy the whole of internment. Morgan is determined to find out the truth... but can she survive it?

Perfect Ruin is a perfect example of the fantastic talent that Lauren DeStefano has. If you haven't read anything by her before now I really urge you to pick up her books, whether it be this one or Wither. Her writing style is one of the most polished and perfected in the business. It's utterly fantastic and grabs your attention from the get go. Perfect Ruin pulls you in with intrigue right from the start and once I hit the 70 page mark the book became unputdownable. Utterly fantastic.

Perfect Ruin is one of the most unique novels I have come across. I couldn't really say a definite genre that Perfect Ruin is. It's a mix of lots of things. It's definitely fantasy but then it has elements of sci-fi and a hint of dystopia/utopia. All of these genre crosses are what makes this book utterly fantastic. You don't know what genre it definitely is but to be honest it's so freaking awesome you don't really care.

I admit that at the beginning of the book I was intrigued but a little bit bored and it wasn't until around chapter 7 when it kind of hit me and I was like OH this is interesting and it became very fast paced and unputdownable. The storyline is utterly fantastic and Lauren's execution of it is just heartstoppingly phenomenal. I am so beyond excited for the second book in this series as I know it's going to be incredible.

Perfect Ruin was a fantastic journey of intrigue, mystery and deadly secrets. I would recommend this book to everyone. I loved it and I can't wait to get my hands on the second installment in the series. I think it's going to be even better than this one. If there's one 2013 release that you have got to buy and read straight away it's Perfect Ruin. It is a fantastic start to what it looking to be a phenomenal series. A must-read.

"Internment is only a piece of what's out there. I know all it's sections by heart, and I've memorized the times at which the train will speed by my bedroom window. It isn't enough. I want to know more."