KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Insurgent (Divergent #2)

Insurgent  - Veronica Roth

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian Divergent series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.

"He kisses me again, more insistent this time, his hands squeezing my waist. His breathes, his body, my body, we are so close there is no difference."

Wow. That is the first word that comes to mind when thinking of Insurgent. It was absolutely amazing. Divergent was one of my favourite reads of last year and I ended up reading it in one sitting, in four hours. It is one of my all time favourite dystopian reads and I could not wait to read Insurgent. A part of me was a little reluctant to read it though as I thought I would be a little disappointed because I thought there was no way that Insurgent could compare to how much I loved Divergent. I was so very wrong. Insurgent is just as good as Divergent if not a little better and it completely and utterly blew me away.

Tris and Tobias are left dealing with the effects of what the Erudite and Dauntless have done. Trying to find shelter and a safe place to stay for the Abnegation they soon realise that everything is not over. It is only beginning. A war is starting between the factions and the Divergent are in grave danger. The Erudite will stop at nothing to control everyone which means the Divergent are a force to be extinguished. Soon Tris has to deal with the fact that there are more important things than finding a safe place to stay, she must embrace the full extent of her Divergence in order to stop the Erudite from killing innocent people, even if it costs her, her love and her life.

Amazing! This book was nothing short of phenomenal. I was completely sucked back into this dystopian world and as with Divergent could not put it down. I didn't think it could get any better than Divergent but Veronica Roth kept me on the edge of my seat completely embraced by the story and it was amazing. I think I like Insurgent even better than Divergent. It was just incredible. There are so many twists and turns I was shocked and couldn't believe what was happening. There were a whole lot of OMG moments where I just needed someone to talk to about what was happening. Luckily I had Misty from Bookaholics Book Club who had already read Insurgent that I could talk to. I couldn't put it down and there was no guessing what could possibly happen next. Whenever I said to myself I need to do something other than read but just one more chapter, that then turned into five more chapters. This book is just unputdownable.

I love Tris. I loved her in the first one and I love her even more in this one. I feel like she really goes on a bigger journey throughout this book than she did in the first one. She has to deal with what has happened in the first book and come to terms with the fact that she now has darkness inside of her based on her previous actions during the simulation. You really see her battle with the choices she has made in the past and trying to be a good person and doing the right thing when she has made the mistakes she has. I think Tris is one of the most selfless main characters I have ever read and although she is convinced she is bad the reader definitely doesn't see that. She doesn't hesitate to put her life in jeopardy if it means she can save others and I love that about her. There were times when I really wanted to shake her as I didn't agree with what she was doing. I hated the secrets she kept hidden and I just wanted to shake her and say open your eyes and see! She went on a big journey throughout this book and I think the reader really gets to see her grow throughout the book and I love where that has led her to be at the end of the book.

Tobias. What can I say? I loved him even more in this book. He is just like the perfect guy and he is so sweet and never hesitates to put himself in danger as long as he can protect the ones that he loves. Insurgent was really mainly about Tris' individual journey and there are a lot of things that happen that I wish would have brought them together and made them stronger rather than driving a wedge between them. I love where their relationship ended up in the end of the book and I can't wait to see where they go from there.

The ending of this book was explosive and I was shocked. I could not believe what happened and I actually have no clue whatsoever where the story is going to go from here. I don't know where Veronica Roth comes up with this storyline but she is a genius. If you loved Divergent you will adore Insurgent it is fast-paced and action-packed and I cannot wait to see what happens in book 3. Insurgent will have you sat with bated breathe wondering what the hell could possibly happen next.
A must-read for any fans of Dystopia.

"I am tired of being Tris. I have bad things. I can't take them back, and they are a part of who I am. Most of the time, they seem like the only thing I am."