KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

On The Island

On the Island  - Tracey Garvis-Graves

Anna Emerson is a thirty-year-old English teacher desperately in need of adventure. Worn down by the cold Chicago winters and a relationship that’s going nowhere, she jumps at the chance to spend the summer on a tropical island tutoring sixteen-year-old T.J.

T.J. Callahan has no desire to go anywhere. His cancer is in remission and he wants to get back to his normal life. But his parents are insisting he spend the summer in the Maldives catching up on all the school he missed last year.

Anna and T.J. board a private plane headed to the Callahan’s summer home, and as they fly over the Maldives’ twelve hundred islands, the unthinkable happens. Their plane crashes in shark-infested waters. They make it to shore, but soon discover that they’re stranded on an uninhabited island.

At first, their only thought is survival. But as the days turn to weeks, and then months, the castaways encounter plenty of other obstacles, including violent tropical storms, the many dangers lurking in the sea, and the possibility that T.J.’s cancer could return. As T.J. celebrates yet another birthday on the island, Anna begins to wonder if the biggest challenge of all might be living with a boy who is gradually becoming a man.

I didn't really know what to expect when starting this book. I first heard about it when a friend of mine recommended it. I thought it sounded interesting and like a good romance but I didn't really have any motivation to go out and buy it. However when I was browsing in the bookstore weeks later I saw the cover and it caught my eye and then realised it was the same book that had been recommended to me so decided to get it and give it a go. I don't buy and read books straight away on impulse often but this is one that I did and I am so happy that I did as I completely fell in love with this book.

Anna is a English teacher. She loves her job but her home life and her relationship with her long-term boyfriend isn't as good as her career so when she is offered the chance to go to the Madives for the summer to help catch up 17-year old TJ who needs help to catch up on school work after being cleared of his Cancer she jumps at the chance. A job in a beautiful country doing the thing she loves and a break from her home-life to sort everything out. What she doesn't count on is the seaplane taking her and TJ to the island crashing on the way. Suddenly Anna and TJ find themselves alone on an uninhabited Island with no way to let anyone know that they are there. They must learn how to survive but what if they are there just the two of them forever? And will Anna and TJ be able to fight their growing attraction to each other?

I really loved this book. It was definitely an impulse buy and I sat down thinking I'll just read a couple of pages just to see what it was like... the next thing I knew I had about 100 pages of the book left. It completely and utterly drew me in right from the first page and I couldn't put the book down as I just had to know what was going to happen to these characters. Right from the start I had questions spinning round my head: Are they going to make it off the island? Will they survive? I just refused to put the book down until I had found out what happened to them.

I wasn't a big fan of Anna at first. I just thought she was a little selfish and quite frankly horrible. The book opens with her boyfriend dropping her off at the airport and hugging her and saying how much he loved her and her response was: Yeah I know. I was like well she's a lovely character isn't she? What a bitch! BUT as the book went on and you found out more about her relationship with him and her growing affections for TJ you really start to like her and understand more about why she acted like that.
TJ is such a great character and I am certain every girl will love him. He's such a sweetie and cares so much about Anna and you can really see his feelings for her develop. I just fell for him. He is so cute and would do anything to protect Anna. I just love him.

This is a fantastic romance and I didn't think I would love it as much as I did. I thought the relationship between Anna and TJ would be a little weird because of the 13 year age gap but you are thrown into their circumstances and see just how much the rely on each other to survive and you can't help but develop feelings when you are in that situation. I really enjoyed this book and it is such a great love story that I would definitely re-read.