KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls #1)

Chosen Ones - Tiffany Truitt

What if you were mankind’s last chance at survival?

Sixteen-year-old Tess lives in a compound in what was once the Western United States, now decimated after a devastating fourth World War. But long before that, life as we knew it had been irrevocably changed, as women mysteriously lost the ability to bring forth life. Faced with the extinction of the human race, the government began the Council of Creators, meant to search out alternative methods of creating life. The resulting artificial human beings, or Chosen Ones, were extraordinarily beautiful, unbelievably strong, and unabashedly deadly.

Life is bleak, but uncomplicated for Tess as she follows the rigid rules of her dystopian society, until the day she begins work at Templeton, the training facility for newly created Chosen Ones. There, she meets James, a Chosen One whose odd love of music and reading rivals only her own. The attraction between the two is immediate in its intensity—and overwhelming in its danger.

But there is more to the goings-on at Templeton than Tess ever knew, and as the veil is lifted from her eyes, she uncovers a dark underground movement bent not on taking down the Chosen Ones, but the Council itself. Will Tess be able to stand up to those who would oppress her, even if it means giving up the only happiness in her life?

"Emotional entanglements only led to physical tresspasses. We, humans, were weak. We couldn't be trusted with our emotions."

Chosen Ones completely blew me away. The debut novel from Tiffany Truitt just made me fall in love with this new dystopian society and I could not stop reading. When I saw the cover to this book I instantly fell in love and couldn't wait to read it. Who wouldn't looking at that cover? It's beautiful. When I read the blurb and found out it was a dystopian novel I just got even more excited and couldn't wait to delve into this book. So you can imagine my excitement when I got a review copy from Entangled. I was not disappointed, this book is incredible and without a doubt one of the best debut's I have ever read.

Tess lives in a world where emotions are a weakness. You shouldn't care about anything or anyone. It will only get your killed. Humans can no longer carry their offspring and pregnancy leads to death. In order to survive the Chosen Ones were created. Like humans but stronger and better, they are there to take orders and protect. They do not have feelings. But then Tess meets James, a Chosen unlike any other she has met, he is kind, has feelings and loves all of the things she does. But can she really trust a Chosen One? And what happens when she starts to realise that this society may not be only there to protect? Will her growing feelings endanger her life? Tess is about to find out in a journey that will leave you breathless and our heart pounding for more.

I cannot praise this book enough. It was just incredible and amazing. I've been looking forward to reading it ever since I received it for review a few months ago and once I started I couldn't put it down. Tiffany's incredible narrative drew me in from the first page and I was drawn into this dystopian society where feelings are a weakness. Chosen Ones is unlike any other dystopian I have read and I loved how original it was. No matter what I needed to do I couldn't put the book down and read over half of it in one sitting.

Tess is such an amazing character and I love her. She is strong and will do whatever it takes to protect herself and her family. She refuses to feel anything and look weak and she is good at hiding what is really going on inside. I really admired her and I felt like she went on such a huge journey throughout the book and she really grew as a character. I loved seeing the world from Tess' eyes and it really makes you see just how barbaric this supposed 'protected' community can be. Everything that happens to Tess makes you see things differently and it's like you are living this story with her. I really felt like she discovered a lot about herself throughout the book and I completely loved that.

Now for James. Every girl reading this book will love James. I sure did. He is such a fantastic character and although you don't see his feelings much with the story being told from Tess' point of view I felt like you really see his character grow and see him going through his own journey of discovery throughout the book. He is a 'Chosen One' he's supposed to be stoic with no feelings but he's unlike the other Chosen Ones. Especially when he meets Tess, he can't explain his feelings and you really see all his conflicting emotions as he tries to make sense of them. I loved that about him and I loved how similar he and Tess are even though they are technically different 'species'.

This book just completely blew me away. I knew from the first chapter I would adore this book and I was right. I got this feeling when I started it that I would love it and that the story would be an emotional rollercoaster that would stay with me for a long time. I have only had that feeling with one other series which is The Hunger Games, my favourite books so this ranks right up there with those. I was blown away and left breathless and hungry for more with this book. It's an incredible heart-wrenching series that will blow you away. You feel like you are living through every moment with Tess and you feel her confusion and her reluctance growing into her acceptance that everything is not as it seems in this world.

I will definitely be buying the paperback of this series when it comes out and I am just left hanging waiting for the next book in this series. It's incredible and breath-taking and in my opinion one of the best, most unique dystopian novels out there. This is a must-read for any fan of dystopian and I would recommend it to everyone. A definite re-read quality book.

It was Phenomenal, breath-taking, heart-pounding and Epic! The storyline will leave you speechless and the romance will leave you breathless! Amazing!

"He had saved my life twice, and beyond that, he's made me realise that I had a heart and soul that still lived inside me. He showed me that love existed in a world full of darkness, something I long thought was impossible."