KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Shadowlander (Shadow Sisters #1)

Shadowlander - Theresa Meyers

Four sisters, three rules to live by, one big problem.

O'Connell Family Rule #1: Don't let the Fae know you see them.
O'Connell Family Rule #2: Don't talk to the Fae.
O'Connell Family Rule #3: Never, ever follow them.

Most people only believe what they can see. Gifted with the ability to see the deep, dark fae of Shadowland, Catherine Rowan Mary O'Connell would prefer not to. When the fae abduct her friend Maya, Cate breaks the sacred O'Connell Family Rules and sets a trap for the handsome fae who haunts her every step.

Rook, High Court Advisor to the Shadow King, has been following Cate since she was sixteen. When Cate reveals herself as one of the fabled "Seers", Rook is stunned—she is one of the few that can permanently open the gates between their worlds. If he turns her over to the Shadow King, his court will rule the human realm.

Cate knows she has precious little time to find Maya. By midnight, the glamour of Mid-Summer's Eve will fade, leaving her trapped forever in the Shadowland, but Maya's abductor won't give up the woman he's mesmerized easily.

The midnight hour is almost at hand. Cate must choose: her freedom or her destiny.

I definitely didn't expect to be sucked into this story as much as I was. Shadowlander is a Novella and with me I usually don't get as drawn in to short stories as much as I do with full-length novels. This is definitely the exception. I wasn't sure for the first few pages but then I was sucked in and couldn't put it down. It's an incredible story and I couldn't think of anything else except this story.

Cate has always seen the Fae but has always been brought up to ignore them, to be told how to defend herself against the Fae and that they are manipulative and evil. Then her best friend, Maya gets taken by the Fae so she decides she must go after her. Even after being taught that any 'Seer' who goes into the Fae realm doesn't come back nothing can change her mind. Then she comes face to face with the one Fae who could change everything. Rook has been fascinated by Cate for a long time and followed her since she was sixteen. He is Cate's only chance to get Maya back but can Cate fight her growing attraction to him and Rook's nature to protect her? Will she choose love or her family?

I really liked this book. I was sucked in by the powerful storyline and could not put the book down. I was completely mesmerised by the characters that were built in this book. Especially Cate and how loyal she is to her friends and family. She would give up absolutely everything to go and save the ones that she loved. I loved Rook. I know he was originally painted at the bad guy, all Fae's are supposedly bad but I loved him. He showed read love towards Cate and I just loved him more and more the more than I read.

This book is wrote in the third person and usually I do not like third person narratives as much as first person narratives as I feel like you can't associate with the characters as much but with this book I really enjoyed it. I became attached to the characters and I felt everything through them. I loved that we got to see the perspectives of both Rook and Cate and how they were feeling towards each other and how those feelings grew throughout the book. I loved the world building, how both worlds were portrayed by the narrative and how they were similar but at the same time completely different.

Before receiving this book for review I had never heard of it. I am so glad I received it because it would be a crime to not read this book. It was so good and I cannot wait to read the rest of the series and see what happens next.