KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)

Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men—thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the kings council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she’ll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she’s bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it’s the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

"Everything has a purpose. You were meant to come to this castle, just as you were meant to be an assassin, to learn the skills necessary to survive."

Wow! That is the first word that comes to mind when thinking of this book. I have spent so long just sat here wondering what I can write in this review to do this book justice. The answer is nothing. Nothing that I can say can possibly explain the extent of how phenomenally amazing this book is so you'll just have to take my word for it and go read it.

Celeana was the best assassin in the country. But something went terribly wrong, she got caught. Now faced with a lifetime working in the salt mines she jumps at the chance of freedom when she is given a lifeline. The king is holding a deadly competition, the prize, to be his champion and then freedom. Celeana will do anything is takes to gain her freedom back, even if it means serving the one person she hates the most. But when entangled emotions get in the way Celeana starts to realise that freedom may not be everything.

I think I am one of the very few who had never heard of this book. I know a lot of people who are so excited for this book and read the first draft online before this got signed for publication. I am not. I had never heard of this book or author at all until I got an email about it from Bloomsbury Publishing. Well after reading it I have one thought: Where the hell have I been living? Under a rock? This book is phenomenal and Sarah is now up there with my favourite authors. She is fantastic and she completely blew me away with this book! I am definitely surprised and even though I thought yea this book sounds pretty good nothing prepared me for the rollercoaster ride that 'Throne of Glass' is. This book is not good. It's phenomenal. Without a doubt the best fantasy book I have ever read in my life!

Celeana is a character that is really hard not to like. At first look she's tough and comes across as someone who believes her freedom is the most important thing and she has no qualms about killing anyone to get it. But there are so many more layers to her. The more you read the more you love her. You start to really get a feel for her back story and you really start to feel for her and what she's gone through the more you read. I didn't read the prequels to this book before reading so my opinion on Celeana and how much you feel for her is based on this novel alone but by the end I love her and she's one of the stongest YA heroine's I have ever read.

Well guys, prepare to be completely torn between two total swoon worthy guys because I love them both. I have always been one to choose sides in love triangles in books but with this book, well I don't know why she can't just have them both because these two guys are amazing. You have the dashing Prince Dorian who isn't at all what he first seems. He isn't the cool prince you first think him to be and find out a lot about his character and how he doesn't agree with his father and how he's running the country. I really loved him more and more the more of the book I read and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with him in the next book. I still think we have a lot of Prince Dorain to come and I can't wait for it. So you're asking, he's swoon-worthy, he's amazing, he's a Prince, why are you torn? Well enter the amazing, equally swoon-worthy Captain Chaol. He is so amazing and I loved seeing his and Celeana's relationship grow. I felt like Chaol was the character that actually had the biggest growth within the book, how he felt like he couldn't trust Celeana, after all she is the world's best assassin but how he saw a side of her nobody else really saw and you could see his very conflicting feelings. I adore Chaol and I just thought he was so sweet and there's so many moments where you just want Celeana to love him because they would be perfect together. But then there'll be scenes when Dorian shows his feelings and you totally love him so yea I can't choose between them they are both just perfect swoon-worthy characters so I say keep them both... or I'll take one of your hands.

This book is amazing and I am so excited to see what happens next. 'Throne of Glass' completely drew me in from the first page and I couldn't put it down. This is the first book I have read in a while where I've had that Unputdownable feeling from it. I was constantly sat reading thinking just one more chapter the next thing I knew two hours had past. I am genuinely really sad that I have finished this book. Call me weird but I actually feel like I am parting with a dear friend by putting this book down because I have grown so attached to this book and this story and it's incredible characters. And I was only reading it for 2 days. It's just that good. 'Throne of Glass' gave me that 'blown away' feeling and I can't wait for the next book.

If you are looking for an Unputdownable fantasy book that you will be sucked in from the first page then this is the book for you. To me it was a perfect mix of fairytale and adventure. Think Maria V Snyder's Study series mixed with Cinderella and that is 'Throne of Glass'. It's fast-paced and action-packed and it guaranteed to leave you breathless and sitting on the edge of your seat with bated breath wondering what is going to happen next.

Throne of Glass is a 2012 Must-Read and I would recommend it to everyone. You definitely do not want to miss out on this one.

"He loved her, and no empire, no king and no earthly fear would keep him from her."