KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1)

Bloodlines - Richelle Mead

BLOOD DOESN'T LIE.
Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning...

I was so excited when this got delivered I had to start it immediately. I had really high hopes for this book as it's the spin off to Vampire Academy which is my favourite series ever and Richelle Mead is my favourite paranormal/urban fantasy author. I fell in love with her writing style which reading VA and I love her adult series just as much.
I was in no way disappointed with Bloodlines, it's easily the best book I have read this year, with Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent coming in second.

Sydney is an alchemist who is currently in trouble for helping vampires. She is assigned to protect vampires while being under the watchful eye of other alchemists. Queen Vasalisa's half-sister Jill is in danger, people are trying to kill her in order to get to the queen so she is relocated with other Moroi and Dhampirs with Sydney there to watch over them. Sydney is very careful not to get too close to the vampires and keep as much distance as possible to show her superiors she can be trusted? But as she grows closer to Jill and the ever-charming Adrian she wonders are her superiors correct and are all vampires really evil?

I genuinely loved this book so much and I can't stop gushing about it. It's all I can think about or talk about and I know that whatever I end up reading next it will in no way compare to this. Before reading Bloodlines I did think that I wouldn't like it quite as much as VA because of the different characters. In VA I completely fell in love with Rose and Dimitri and wondered how much I would love a story in the same world but without them as leads but the storyline of Bloodlines is so strong that I didn't ever think about what those characters would be getting up to.
I also had doubts of how much I would like Sydney as a narrator. She was a very small part in VA and I wasn't sure how much I would be able to relate to her. In VA I fell in love with Rose's hard quality and how strong she always was whether it was to defend her or her friends. Sydney is very different from Rose but I loved that, she's a much softer character who always thinks everything through and you really feel for her throughout the book. I really love the conflict in emotions she goes through all the time. Especially considering she has always been brought up to think one thing but then she starts to feel that maybe they are wrong and that the Moroi are not evil and that there is nothing wrong with being friend with them.

Adrian, oh, my, god Adrian. In VA at first I wasn't such a big Adrian fan because I loved Rose and Dimitri's love and relationship and I didn't want anything to come between them though at the end of the last VA book I really felt for Adrian and couldn't wait to see him without Rose in this book. I fell head over heels for him so much. He had me in stitches all the way through and every scene he was in I couldn't stop laughing. Adrian is one of those characters whose personalities are so amazing you can't help but love them.
There wasn't a lot of romance in this book so I really hope that we get some more romance in the next instalment but there was so much action keeping you on the edge of your seat and I loved every single moment of this book. I can't say a bad word about it and the last line was so amazing. I'm so impatient for the next book and the wait is going to kill me.

My favourite book of the year, I loved it!