KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

PODs (PODs #1)

PODs - Michelle Pickett

Seventeen-year-old Eva is a chosen one. Chosen to live, while others meet a swift and painful death from an incurable virus so lethal, a person is dead within days of symptoms emerging. In the POD system, a series of underground habitats built by the government, she waits with the other chosen for the deadly virus to claim those above. Separated from family and friends, it's in the PODs she meets David. And while true love might not conquer all, it's a balm for the broken soul.

After a year, scientists believe the population has died, and without living hosts, so has the virus. That's the theory, anyway. But when the PODs are opened, survivors find the surface holds a vicious secret. The virus mutated, infecting those left top-side and creating... monsters.

Eva and David hide from the infected in the abandoned PODs. Together they try to build a life--a new beginning. But the infected follow and are relentless in their attacks. Leaving Eva and David to fight for survival, and pray for a cure.

"I love you, Eva. If anything happens to you I'll never be able to forgive myself."

Right from the first moment I heard about this book I could not wait to read it. I am such an enormous fan of dystopia novels. They are currently one of my favourite genres of all time and I seriously just can't get enough of them. From seeing the cover and the blurb I knew that this book would be perfect for me. And I wasn't wrong. I loved every single moment of this book. It is just incredible. I can't praise this book enough. I loved it.

When a deadly virus breaks out with no way to control it only one this is certain. The population will die out unless something is done... fast! The government decide to do a random raffle to decide who will go underground to live in the PODs while they wait for the Virus to die out. Eva is a chosen one. Chosen to leave her family and friends and venture into the underground POD system to wait it out. Here Eva meets David, the beautiful boy with the silver eyes. David and Eva find themselves attracted to each other but is starting a relationship in the PODs a good idea? And what will happen when they get out? Will the world be as it once was without the virus... or will things have changed?

I absolutely loved this book. Michelle's writing is amazing and it completely hooked me right from the start and I really didn't want to put the book down until I had finished. One thing that I really loved about this book was that we saw the events of the apocalyptic event as it was happening. A lot of the dystopia books are completely set after the event has always happened and we are left to see what the effects are so I felt like to read how we got from normal society and experience the event as well was pretty damn awesome and really makes this book stand out from the rest.

Eva is such a great heroine. I really love her. I feel like she went on such a great journey during this book. From innocent high school student so having to deal with having to say goodbye to her family and face the fact that she would survive and they would not, to dealing with the aftereffects of the PODs. She is so kick-ass and I love how she just won't let the guys get up and take control. She is just as capable as the guys in this zombiefied society.

David... I genuinelly loved him! She is sweet, protective and overall just a good guy. I am a sucker for romantic good guys. What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic at heart. I loved David from the moment that we met him. I feel like David also went on this huge journey thorughout the book. He went from sheltered guy in the PODs just trying to live as best he can without his family to a big tough-guy who had to change in order to survive outside of the PODs.

I just loved Eva and David's relationship. It can be argued to be a bit of insta-love but I truly don't see it like that. PODs takes place over about 2 years so what can seem like a few pages for them to fall in love to us is months to them. We don't see everything that happens to them in the PODs otherwise the book would be about 1000 pages long! I still feel like we saw their relationship develop even though there were a lot of things that we didn't see happen between them. They went from friends dealing with the loss of their families to a strong unit who look out for each other to survive and I think it's such a realistic relationship in a society like this.

PODs is without a doubt one of my favourite dystopia novels. I loved every moment of it. I just had one tiny issue and it was nothing to do with the story or Michelle's writing or anything. It is that the blurb just gives away far too much of the story. The blurb does it's job in terms of grabbing you. It makes the story sound just as fantastic as it is but it tells you a whole lot of the story. I felt like because I had read the blurb just before reading it took away from my excitement that I usually get. I am an incredibly excitable person when it comes to books that I love and instead of being crazy excited thinking "OMG I cannot wait to see what happens" I felt like "I can't wait to see HOW it happens" because the blurb had already told me what was going to happen next.

I adored this book and I genuinely think it is a must-read for everyone. I loved every moment of it and Michelle has left me dying for The Infected. My one warning would just be wait until you have forgotten a lot of the blurb so it doesn't take away from your excitement. I kind of wished that I hadn't re-read the blurb before starting so that I could have had that excitement of waiting to see what was going to happen next. Overall a fantastic book that is not to be missed.

"I love you. I think I have since the day you first entered the POD. I knew I did the morning I kissed you. I still know I do because I'd lay down my life for you, here and now."