KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Poison Study (Chronicles of Ixia #1)

Poison Study  - Maria V. Snyder
Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison…
About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.
And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.
As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear…

I honestly don't really know what to say about this book or where to even start when writing this review. Poison Study is unlike anything I have read before as this was the first pure fantasy book I have read.

Yelena has a decision to make. Be executed for her crime or become the Commander's new food taster. When Yelena chooses to live she doesn't think that she may be still be in incredible danger. In Ixia, having magical powers results in death and when Yelena starts showing signs of magic she knows she must keep it well hidden in order to save her life. But there are more dangerous things coming, and Yelena must choose between her life and her heart.

I really liked this book. I thought it was a unique and interesting storyline. I didn't really get the Wow impression from the book that many people seemed to get from this book but it held my attention and I was intrigued about what was going to happen.
The more I read the more I got into the story and the more I enjoyed it. Even though it's not the best book I have read and it didn't completely blow me away I still enjoyed it a lot and found myself sitting for hours just reading as I needed to know what was going to happen.

Yelena is such a great character and my heart really went out to her. When the book starts all you know is she's a criminal and she is to be executed for killing someone. All the way through the book I really wanted to know why she had killed this person. The more you read the more you see she is just a gentle person and wouldn't kill someone unless she had a great reason for it. When I found out the reason, I was glad she killed him and my heart went out to her for the things she was put through.
I had such mixed feelings about Valek throughout the book. He is definitely the mysterious character and you don't really know what he is thinking but the more I read about him the more I loved him. He's a great character and I can't wait to read more.

Overall, I think this is a great story and I can't wait to read the rest of the series and find out what happens next. The ending wasn't the greatest ending for a book and there were unnecessary things explained while necessary things left unexplained but as for the main storyline I think it was a good ending in order to lead onto the next book in the series.
This is probably the hardest review I have ever wrote as I honestly had no clue what to write. I really enjoyed the book and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.