KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Delirium (Delirium #1)

Delirium  - Lauren Oliver

Lena Haloway is content in her safe, government-managed society. She feels (mostly) relaxed about the future in which her husband and career will be decided, and looks forward to turning 18, when she’ll be cured of deliria, a.k.a. love. She tries not to think about her mother’s suicide (her last words to Lena were a forbidden “I love you”) or the supposed “Invalid” community made up of the uncured just beyond her Portland, Maine, border. There’s no real point—she believes her government knows how to best protect its people, and should do so at any cost. But 95 days before her cure, Lena meets Alex, a confident and mysterious young man who makes her heart flutter and her skin turn red-hot. As their romance blossoms, Lena begins to doubt the intentions of those in power, and fears that her world will turn gray should she submit to the procedure.

Wow! I seriously do not even know where to start with this book. It was such a rollercoaster I still don't think I can talk about it coherently.

Lena Haloway is only weeks away from the cure and she can't wait. Then she'll be safe. The cure for the Deliria is what everyone wants. To be safe from Love and the pain that it inflicts. But before she gets the cure the unthinkable happens. She meets Alex and they fall in love. Now Lena will do just about anything to escape the cure and stay with Alex. But the clock is ticking and time is running out, will they be able to find a way to be together or will they be parted forever?

OMG, that is all I can say just OMG. This book is phenomenal and without a doubt one of the best dystopian books I have ever read. I was sucked in from page one with the unique story. Love is a disease? I was thinking "What? Really?" and worse they have a cure for it. It's fair to say I would hate to lice in this society where you are cured from love and everything is decided for you, who you marry, what job you have, how many children you have. The concept of this book is just so bizarre to me and that's what really sucked me in from page one. I just have to know where this story was going.

Lena, I just love her. You see so many sides to Lena. She is the good girl who has never questioned anything and always been afraid of the Deliria. She counts down the days till she can be safe. I loved seeing her hesitance when she first met Alex and how their relationship grew even when she was being cautious. But love develops and nobody can stop is happening and this is exactly what happened. I loved seeing her more carefree and daring to think for herself and realise that this society and this cure is not a good thing. It's not to help them, it is a way to control them.

Alex, oh, Alex. My heart seriously just hurts. I fell head over heels in love with him. He is just the sweetest and he really shows his love for Lena throughout the book. I loved seeing his secretive side and then seeing him just want to protect Lena from everything, from the society, from the cure and I just fell more in love with him the more I read.

This book started off brilliantly, with a great unique story I haven't read anywhere else and it just got better and better the more I read. I couldn't put it down but I didn't want it to end. It's fair to say the ending left me speechless..... well not speechless more like screaming that it could not end like that. The ending is fast-paced and I refused to put the book down for anything as I needed to see what happened. The ending left me reeling and heartbroken and loving Alex more than ever. It was a brilliant way for Lauren to get people reading the next book. I was definitely left screaming "She can't end it like that, is she trying to torture me?" I think if the ending hasn't have been so fast-paced and I wasn't so shocked I wold have cried but I didn't see what was coming at all and I was too stunned at what happened to really feel anything at all.

I am definitely a fan of Lauren now and I cannot wait to read her other books. Her writing style is amazing and she drew my attention and had me hooked to the book within a couple of pages. She definitely know how to break her readers hearts and leave you hanging. I really cannot wait to read book 2, Pandemonium and I am glad it is out soon. I don't think I'd have been able to cope if I had read this when it first came out.

This is an explosive, fantastic start to a dystopian series and I loved every second of it. To me this book was absolutely Epic! Saying I loved it would be the biggest understatement of the year and I cannot wait for Pandemonium.