KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

The Summoning (Darkest Powers #1)

The Summoning: Darkest Powers: Book 01 - Kelley Armstrong

After years of frequent moves following her mother’s death, Chloe Saunders’s life is finally settling down. She is attending art school, pursuing her dreams of becoming a director, making friends, meeting boys. Her biggest concern is that she’s not developing as fast as her friends are. But when puberty does hit, it brings more than hormone surges. Chloe starts seeing ghosts–everywhere, demanding her attention. After she suffers a breakdown, her devoted aunt Lauren gets her into a highly recommended group home.

At first, Lyle House seems a pretty okay place, except for Chloe’s small problem of fearing she might be facing a lifetime of mental illness. But as she gradually gets to know the other kids at the home–charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek, obnoxious Tori, and Rae, who has a “thing” for fire–Chloe begins to realize that there is something that binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual “problem kid” behaviour. And together they discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home either…

I really liked this book.
It follows Chloe, a schoolgirl who starts to see ghosts. Her dad sends her to a group home called Lyle House for help. At the group home she is diagnosed as schizophrenic but something doesn't feel right. Chloe isn't schizophrenic she is a powerful necromancer, genetically modified at birth as part of an experiment to enhance her powers. Chloe is not the only one at Lyle House with extraordinary powers, she meets Liz, a powerful telepath, Simon, a sorcerer, Tori, a very bitch witch and Derek, a werewolf with super-strength. Together they figure out all is not as it seems at Lyle House and they they could be in very serious danger.

I really enjoyed this book. I kinda figured out that Chloe wasn't schizophrenic from the start. I really loved Chloe and felt everything throughout the book along with her. I felt the confusion she felt when she first saw a ghost and wondering why anybody else couldn't see them, and her terror as she found herself alone at Lyle House and her joy at finding new friends who she could rely on.
I really loved Simon as he is just the sweetest guy ever and i felt mixed feelings for Derek, i could tell that he had a kind side to him but he just really annoyed me with him being mean to try and protect the people around him.
It was an amazing start to the trilogy and i have high expectations for the next book.