KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Mockingbird

Mockingbird - Kathryn Erskine

11-year-old Caitlin has Asperger’s syndrome, and has always had her older brother, Devon, to explain the confusing things around her. But when Devon is killed in a tragic school shooting, Caitlin has to try and make sense of the world without him. With her dad spending most of his time crying in the shower, and her life at school becoming increasingly difficult, it doesn’t seem like things will ever get better again.

A heart-warming story of loss and recovery that won the American National Book Award 2010 – one of the most moving books you’ll ever read.

Wow, I have just finished this book and it just left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. It's such a beautiful story and I really enjoyed it.

Caitlyn has Asperger's Syndrome. Her brother as always been the one who helped her through social situations and helped her through. But then all of a sudden he is gone. Caitlyn is alone, left to deal with her grieving father and she just doesn't understand emotions. Can she face the world without the one person she loves the most?

I ended up enjoying this book a lot more than I thought. It's really not the sort of thing that I usually read but I thought it sounded like a really good story so I accepted it for review anyway. If I had to sum up this book in three words they would be beautiful, moving and uplifting.
The writing is superb. I love how the author really shows you what it would feel like to have this condition and as a Psychology student it was really a great book for me to read. You really sympathise with Caitlyn and it really opens your eyes as to how one event can change the lives of everyone in the community and how it can affect those with mental problems.
I really loved Caitlyn, she made my heart hurt and she made me smile and laugh as well. This is definitely a uplifting story of the after-effects of a tragedy and how people deal with it in different ways but even so you can help each other.

A beautiful story that is insightful and eye-opening to those with Asperger's Syndrome. What a brilliant author to be able to portray that. A great story I would recommend.