KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1)

The Lost Prince  - Julie Kagawa

Don't look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase's unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he's dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister's world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myths and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

My name is Ethan Chase. And I may not live to see my eighteenth birthday.

"Oh ice-boy, a moonlight stroll with you? Do you even have to ask?"

Wow!! I do not know what I was expecting when I started this book but I was not expecting it to be this phenomenally good. I was pretty late reading any of Julie Kagawa's books, I only read The Iron Fey series at the beginning of this year but I instantly loved them. I was taken away by Julie's phenomenal writing style and this incredible world of the Fey. I was really sad when I finished the series as I loved The Iron Fey series so much. After reading her recent Blood of Eden novel, The Immortal Rules, I once again fell in love with her writing and her ability to create this completely unique world though it did not make me fall in love with it quite as much as the Iron Fey world. When I got The Lost Prince for review I was so excited to get it and delve back into the world of the Fey and I wasn't disappointed one little bit.

Ethan has always resented his sister. The one who abandoned his and his family for the Fey. The creatures that he despises more than anything in the world. The ones who ruin his life and hurt the ones he cares about. So when he is thrown into the world of the Fey he has one wish... to solve this mess and get back home. But can he solve the mess the Fey are faced with and stop Kenzie, the girl who he is falling for but promised himself he wouldn't, from getting hurt? Can he get them both back home or, like his sister, is he destined to be a part of the Fey no matter what he wants?

Honestly, I was a little hesitant about this book. I could not wait to start it as I loved The Iron Fey series so much but at the same time I was worried that it wouldn't quite live up to the amount I loved Meghan, Ash and Puck's story. I needn't have worried. I was completely sucked in from the very first page. I was completely captivated by Ethan's story. One of the things I was worried about was having the book told form Ethan's point of view. All of the books I have loved have been told from the lead female point of view so I was worried I wouldn't connect with the story as much with it being told from a guy's point of view. I was completely wrong. I loved seeing the story through Ethan's eyes and in my opinion it's very refreshing in YA literature to find a book told from the guy's point of view. There might be a lot out there but personally most of the YA books I have read have been told from the female's point of view, or a split point of view from both characters, not purely from the guys point of view (not including The Iron Knight) and I thought it was really refreshing to find that and I really loved it.

What I was most excited about in this book is that you see all your old favourites from the original Iron Fey series. Ash and Meghan, Grim and Puck, even Leanansidhe is in there and I loved that. As much as I was completely captivated by Ethan's story I did miss my favourites from the original series. So when they showed up it's fair to say I was slightly overexcited. I loved seeing them years later and seeing what they were up to. You had to know Puck would be in there somewhere right? Like he could ever stay away from trouble.

As well as seeing the old characters I adored meeting all the new characters. Ethan is awesome and I love seeing the story through his eyes. Seeing his pent up rage at Meghan and how she abandoned him and his family. His hatred for the Fey and his determination to keep everyone safe. Kenzie is such a fantastic lead female. I love her. She is so brave and awesome and she is thrown into this world of the Fey that she didn't know existed and she took it all in her stride and did what needed to be done for them to make things right.

As much as I love Ethan and Kenzie, neither of them is my favourite character. Enter Keirran... yes Keirran. You remember The Iron Knight? Where Ash has that vision of his and Meghan's son? Oh yes... it's real and he is here and he is just like his father. He has so much of Ash in him I instantly loved him. His insane protectiveness over the one he loves. His determination to do the right thing no matter what other people think and his bravery to put himself on the front line to fight if it means protecting others. I love him! He is my new substitute for Ash and I cannot wait to see where his story takes him in the future books in this series. He is bound to get in lots of trouble. Really? What more would you expect from Ash and Meghan's son?

This book completely blew me away. I was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations because of how much I loved the original Iron Fey series but it was amazing. I loved coming back to the iron fey world and I was caught up in it and dying to see what would happen next just as much as I was with Ash, Meghan and Puck's story. I cannot wait for the next book The Traitor Son. Although that title right there has me freaking out a little. I know bad things will come but I trust Julie to have the ending perfect just like with Iron Fey series.
Julie is fast becoming one of my favourite authors and I don't think there is anything that she could write that would not just blow me away and make me love and obsess over. She's phenomenal and I cannot wait for her next book, regardless of whether it is the second book to this series or the Blood of Eden series.  I will read anything she writes and would recommend her books to everyone.

A must read!

"I'd kept people at arms length for so long, scared of what the fey would do to them if I got close, but I couldn't do it anymore. Not to her."