KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey #2)

The Iron Daughter  - Julie Kagawa

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

"Then you came along and suddenly... I don't know. It was like I was seeing things for the first time again."

The Iron Fey series is fast becoming one of my favourite series about Fey. I thought 'The Iron King' was a strong start to the series and I really enjoyed it but I didn't get that blown-away feeling that I look for in books. That all changed with this book. Through the most part it didn't blow me away and I was fully prepared to give it the same '4 star' rating that the first book got. Then I got to the final quarter of the book and I got that feeling. That feeling that makes me heart stop and all I can say is WOW!

Meghan fought like hell to save her brother and now that he is safe she must uphold her end of the bargain she made with the Winter Prince, Ash. Thrown back into the world of the Fey Meghan must stay at the Winter Court with the deceitful Lady Mab. But that is not the only trouble she has. The Iron King may have been defeated but the Iron Fey are still at large. Can Meghan, Ash and Puck band together once more to defeat The Iron Fey once and for all or are their love/hate relationships destined to doom the future of all Fey.

I really loved this book and after finishing it really think that it is much better than The Iron King. At first I felt like the book was kind of repetitive and was really annoyed by this. Then I realised that those 'repetitive' moments were actually events that took place in the novella Winter's Passage and not The Iron King. I really found my love for this series in this book. I thought the first part of the book was as good as The Iron King but I didn't think it really surpassed it and for me it wasn't really 5 star material. Until I got to the last part of the book and I found it difficult to put it down. I was sat on the edge of my seat and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I desperately needed to know what happened.

I felt that Meghan really grew in this book. She is no longer this girl who is frightened and cannot deal with the Fey and needed Ash and Puck to save her. These are the traits that frustrated me with book one. Well they are all gone. The new Meghan is strong and powerful and when she has the change to back out of this war she refuses to take it. She will do anything to protect the future of the Fey even if it means throwing herself in harms way. I loved her in this book and I can't wait to see what happens with this growth in her character in the next book.

The love triangle really took off in this book and I am so torn. At moments I am so Team Ash, the next I am so Team Puck and I just can't decide. I love both of them. Ash is the gorgeous mysterious prince who loves Meghan more than anything, but they are destined to be ripped apart as Winter and Summer just cannot be together. This is the best 'love' of a book. It;s forbidden love. What girl doesn't root for the love story between two characters when it is forbidden? Then there is Puck, he's loving and hilarious and he's always been there for Meghan. I'm never usually one to root for the best friend but Puck is the exception. I just wanna hug him. He loves Meghan so much and has loved her for such a long time and she was oblivious. He's just adorable and sweet and I want a best friend like Puck. I can totally understand why Meghan has these feeling for both of them and being torn between them because I fell in love with them both throughout this book and I am completely torn between them along with them. This is without a doubt one of the best and most frustrating love triangles I have ever read and Julie writes it incredibly.

The ending was the thing that made me love this book and become obsessed with this series and make it an unputdownable series for me. It's heart-stopping and action-packed and I couldn't put it down. I was desperate to find out what was going to happen and I loved the ending of this book. It is such an incredibly epic ending. Julie Kagawa is incredible at writing the ending of her books. I am not a massive fan of huge cliffhangers in books as I like to feel like a book, even when part of a series, can stand alone and have a proper ending that I am happy with but still make me excited for the new book. Julie does this impeccably. In both The Iron King and this book I have felt like the ending were perfect. They weren't massive cliffhangers that only felt like a chapter in the whole story, they ended properly but then they still got me really excited for the next book to see what happened next.

This was an incredible instalment in The Iron Fey series and I am doubtful how Julie can outdo herself in the next book. I will definitely be starting The Iron Queen next. I can't wait to see how everything plays out from here.

"There was nothing sweet or gentle in our last kiss; it was filled with sorrow and desperation, of the bitter knowledge that we could've had something perfect, but it just wasn't meant to be."