KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1)

Touch of Frost - Jennifer Estep
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.
But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

Wow, I don't really know what to say. This series is turning out so much better than I ever imagined it could. After reading the prequel of this series, First Frost, I instantly wanted to start this one. The prequel completely captured my attention and left me wanting more. This book did not disappoint. What a fantastic way to start a series.

Gwen has been moved to Mythos Academy, a boarding school full of myths, warriors and magic. But all is not as it seems. When one student turns up dead nobody else bats an eye at it but Gwen is not one to give up. As she delves into the secrets of Mythos Academy she starts to find out that everything is not as it seems and she finds some secrets about herself too. But will she end up finding the answer, or just put herself into more and more danger?

I really enjoyed this book I thought it was great and I am now a big fan of Jennifer Estep. I always thought that I would love this series as I am a huge fan of mythology and books about mythology. I was not disappointed in this book one bit. Once again I was sucked into this world where mythological god, goddesses and monsters are real. I just loved Jennifer's world building throughout both the prequel and this book. I thought she did a fantastic job of bringing the reader into this new mythological world without letting them completely confused.

One of the things I loved about this book was that we got to see it through Gwen's eyes. Gwen doesn't really believe in any of the myths, she's always been brought up in the normal world. She always wondered where her Gypsy gift came from but she's never really believed in any of the stuff that everyone else at Mythos does. I loved that we got to come to terms with this new school and world along with Gwen. I think she's such a great lead character. I love how she's smart, she's stubborn and she doesn't give up no matter what.

One big surprise for me in this book was Daphne. At the beginning of the book I never imagined I would end up liking her, let alone her being one of my favourite characters. At the start of Touch of Frost she is the typical mean girl. She is horrid to Gwen and she seems like the spoilt rich girl who thinks she's better than Gwen. But the more I read the more I realised there was more to Gwen that I first thought and by the end of the book I loved her. She is such a great character and it's really nice to see a mean girl character actually grow and see that deep down she really is a great person who just wants what everyone else does. You don't see this a lot in YA literature so I really loved that.

Logan, what can I say about Logan other than I love him and hate him all at the same time? Logan is such a great character as most of the time I love him but sometimes you just want to slap him, but meanwhile still loving him. I loved seeing his love-hate relationship with Gwen growing throughout the book. I loved how flirty and teasing he was with Gwen when nobody else took any notice to her and I loved him for it. I really loved him more and more but sometimes I just wanted to hit him and say stop being an asshole. I can't wait to see how his and Gwen's relationship grown in the second book.

Overall I thought this was a brilliant start to a series and I can't wait to see what happens next. I love this world and I love the characters. I am definitely a fan of Jennifer Estep now and I will definitely be reading on in this series, I cannot wait to see what happens next. I will also be picking up her Elemental Assassins series as I'm really curious as to what her other books will be like. I can't wait to read on.