KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)

Magic Bites  - Ilona Andrews

When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles.

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league—but she wouldn't have it any other way.

I didn't really know what to expect when I started this book. I have heard great things about the series but not so much about the first book. I heard that the first book wasn't brilliant but the rest of the series got much better. I was really surprised as I didn't think the book was brilliant but I did end up loving it and didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as some people made it out to be.

Kate is a mercenary who holds significant amounts of magic and she is constantly finding herself in sticky situations. When her guardian is killed she sees it as her personal mission to find out who was responsible and get revenge. She finds herself caught in the middle of a war between Necromancers and Shifters, befriending the leader of the Shifters, Curran, Kate finds herself in over her head, but she will not backdown until she figures out the mysterious death.

To begin with I was interested in the story but didn't really get the hooked feeling that I get with books but the storyline kept me reading and then once I got about halfway through I started to really love it. I really love both main characters and that usually doesn't happen until further in the series. Add that to the fact that the storyline was exciting and fast-paced I really enjoyed this book. The world-building wasn't as good as in other series and by the end of the book I still felt like I didn't really know much about the world in which the series is set, but I am not really too bothered about that as I am looking forward to seeing what we find out about it in books further in the series.

Kate has to be one of my favourite female leads in a series. She's a very strong character and always finds herself in situations out of her league and I love that you never get a moment where she's worrying and moaning about it, she gets on with it and won't give up. I love that about her.
Curran is such a great character. When we first met him I was unsure about him and was looking forward to getting to know him better. By the end of the book I loved him. He's definitely the big alpha male character who takes control of every situation but you can also see a softer side to him. You don't see much of the softer side in this book but to me it was obvious it was there. He stayed strong for everyone around him and took control of everything because of the amount of responsibility he had upon him but then you could see that he wasn't happy about some of the situations and he cared about those around him.

I can't wait to see what happens in this series. I'm especially looking forward to seeing how Kate and Curran's relationship develops. At first I saw no basis for a romantic relationship between them but by the end I could see that underneath all the fighting and conflict that they have between each other that both deep-down really may have feelings for each other and I'm really looking forward to seeing how that develops in the rest of the series.
A great start to a series and I really can't wait to read the next book.