KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth #2)

The Dead-Tossed Waves - Carrie Ryan

Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves

The Dead-Tossed Waves Review on K-Books

I really enjoyed the first book in this series and wasn't really sure what to expect from the second book. I was really disappointed to find out that the narrator of this book was different from the narrator in this one. I had so many questions at the end of Forest of Hands and teeth and wasn't sure whether we would actually get the answers with the narrator being different. We did though and I was really happy about that.

At the beginning of the book I found it a little slow, as I did with the first one but because in the end I enjoyed the first book I persevered with it and I am so glad I did. I genuinely like this book better than the first one.

Gabry has always obeyed by the rules of her village, not to stray outside the barriers. But one night with her friends and her crush, Catcher she disobeys the rules and regrets it. One little mistake and most of her friends are dead or turned Unconsecrated. Suddenly Gabry's life is turned upside down as she leans secrets from her mother, Mary's past, and comes to terms with Catcher being hunted for being Immune. She is forced into the Forest of Hands and Teeth and has to face certain truths like who is she really and who is the one she actually loves.

I genuinely loved this book and thought it was so much better than the first. I preferred Gabry as a narrator to Mary and I felt everything through her, her growing love for Catcher which turns sour and how much it hurts her. Her hurt at discovering her mothers lies and having to discover who she really is. I thought once you got past the first part of the book and Gabry is in the forest then the story really starts to pick up. Gabry is such a great narrator who lives through her emotions, who isn't afraid to show that she is scared and doesn't know what to do.

My opinion changed so much during the book. At first I really loved Catcher and honestly I still do. I feel that all the bad things he said to Gabry was because he honestly loved her but doesn't want to hurt her with the infection and he is afraid to let it spread to her. At first I didn't like Elias, I thought he was suspicious and I really didn't trust him but as you started to see more of him throughout the book I started liking him a lot more and by the end of the book I loved him. I mean really loved him and as much as I wanted Gabry and Catcher to be together I really want a happy ending for Gabry and Elias. I really hope they find a way back to each other and I cannot wait to read the third and final instalment of the series.
I really can't think of how the next book can top this one because I think this one if just incredible.

It;s not very often that I like a sequel better than the first book in a series but in this one I did.