KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Call of the Jersey Devil

Call of the Jersey Devil - Aurelio Voltaire

Five suburban mall rats and a washed up Goth singer find themselves stranded in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey where they discover two horrifying truths: The Jersey Devil, hellspawn of folklore and legend, is real; and New Jersey (as many already suspected) is the gateway to Hell!

With the help of one lone witch, this small group must face off against their deepest fears and the most unholy monsters in a battle where their very souls, the world they live in, and any chance of returning to Hot Topic in one piece is at stake!

The first novel by musician and horror media personality, Aurelio Voltaire, Call of the Jersey Devil is a hilarious and terrifying homage to 80s horror and genre films. Like a mad doctor, Voltaire has Frankensteined together elements of Evil Dead, The Breakfast Club, Poltergeist, and This is Spinal Tap to create a creature feature that will have you laughing out loud when you're not glancing nervously over your shoulder.

Call of the Jersey Devil Review on K-Books

There are no words to explain just how excited I was when I heard about this book. I instantly wanted to read it because of the publisher it was coming from. The book from Spence City, the new imprint from the best publisher in the world Spencer Hill Press. I will admit that I had never really come across Voltaire before. I had heard his name around the web and stuff but didn't really know who he was and what he did. Let me say that now I am a fully converted fan. He is seriously one of the coolest, most hilarious people I have ever come across. I have so much love for him and his book.

I didn't really know what to expect when I started to read Call of the Jersey Devil but I was lucky enough to hear Voltaire read the first 50 pages of the book at his first ever UK reading and it was just epically awesome. Voltaire's writing style is so different to any of the narratives that I have read before and that's what made me love it. It made the book refreshing and is one of the great things about it. Voltaire did an epically fantastic job of world building in this book. The amount of depth into the backstory was brilliant and I loved it. I had never really heard any of the legends of the Jersey Devil with me being in the UK and all so to hear the back story and just the dialogue between the characters when they are joking about the legends was awesome. It really gave me a sense of the legends about it and prepared me for the coming events in the book and it was all down to Voltaire's fantastic writing.

The characters in this book are seriously some of the most awesome characters I have ever read about. I won't go through all the main characters as I usually do as it would make this review enormous. The Mall Rats are just so incredible and they made me laugh so much... particularly Alistair. He is one of those characters that is crazy and insane and if he were real you would completely be backing away slowly which thinking 'what a weirdo' but he is freaking hilarious and had me laughing out loud so many times in this book. Villy Bats is epically awesome and I completely pictured Voltaire himself as Villy when reading. There are many similarities between them, including their epic coolness. I love him but Villy is way more of an ass than Voltaire is.

Call of the Jersey Devil was such a fantastic book and I loved every second of it. I loved the horror/paranormal in there when we came to face the 'legend'. I loved the characters and how they reacted to everything and I loved Voltaire's writing. It was just genuinelly fantastic. I could not put this book down. The only problem I had with the book, which is minor and tiny compared to how much I loved it, is that the beginning of the book was a little bit slow. I completely understand why it was as there was so much world building and history of the Jersey Devil needed but for me it seemed like it just took to long to get to the point where the Jersey Devil was introduced. I mean the Jersey Devil is in the title you know it's going to come into it and it just took a tad too long to get to that point.

Call of the Jersey Devil is a fantastic book that will have you laughing so hard you are in stitches and holding your sides from laughing so much. It was such a fantastic start to the epicness of SHP's new imprint Spence City and it has converted me into such a huge Voltaire fan. I will be looking out for any other books that he may be writing. I can't wait to read other things by Voltaire. He is awesome and I loved every moment of Call of the Jersey Devil. It's a fantastic read that you don't want to miss out on.