KBooks

Kayleigh {K-Books}

Haven 6

Haven 6  - Aubrie Dionne

A product of an illegal pairing, Eridani is the only woman without a lifemate aboard the colonization ship, the Heritage, and she is determined her less than perfect DNA will not get in the way of finding love. As the ship nears it's final destination of Haven 6 after five hundred years of travel, images of the surface show evidence of intelligent life on a planet that's supposed to be uninhabited. Commander Grier assigns Eri to the exploratory team to spy on the alien society and return with information on how to defeat them.

When Eri's team lands, tribes of humans attack and Eri is saved by Striver, the descendant of a colonist and a pirate from Old Earth's colonization efforts in other parts of the galaxy. Striver helps Eri rescue her team and they are drawn to each other despite their different allegiances. While Striver battles with trusting Eri, Eri must decide whether to warn him and his people about the commander's intentions, or follow orders and complete her mission.

Haven 6 Review on K-Books

I read one of Aubrie's other science fiction novels in the past so when I got the chance to review this one I instantly said yes. I am a fan of science fiction. Ever since reading Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan which is set on a spaceship I have loved science fiction novels. I enjoyed this one. I didn't read the previous books in this series so I was going into the book completely blind of the world and what it was really about.

Eri has given up hope. The only woman without a lifemate upon her ship she has given up hope of ever finding love. But then she is given the assignment of going ahead to the assumed uninhabited destination, Haven 6. Now finding that the planet is actually inhabited, Eri is sent as a spy on the unhabitants. But when she is saved by Striver, one of the 'alien's' she is sent to spy on she must make a hard decision. Stay true to the ship she has been on her whole life or follow her heart and warn Striver that his people may be in danger from the ones she has come from.

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a really original great concept and I just kept on reading dying to know what was going to happen to Eri and Striver. I didn't love this book as I really wanted to but I did enjoy it. Haven 6 is the third book in the New Dawn series and I didn't read the first couple of books. I don't know whether this is why I didn't love the book quite as much as I wanted to. A lot of the beginning of the book I was quite confused. They were all in a spaceship having left Earth as it was uninhabitable. I wanted to know why Earth was uninhabitable. What happened to it? I never really found this out and I don't know whether this was explained in the previous books but you didn't find that out in this book. I was also confused about these creatures on Haven 6. What were they? Some were humans who had arrived by ship years ago but others were a bird-like creature and I was just confused as to what they were, how could they speak? To me there was a lot that was unexplained and I was confused for the most part of it.

However as soon as the romance started I started to really enjoy this book so much more. Eri is a great character and I really enjoyed following her story. I loved how she was a strong heroine but you saw the more vulnerable side of her as she started to battle with her loyalty issues. I really loved Striver as well. He was a great lead hero and I really loved him. He was torn between the stress put upon him having to lead his people and protect them from the rebels and wanting to find his brother and find out what caused him to leave. Striver and Eri are really two characters who are perfect for each other. They both have duties and are torn between what they should do and what they want to do.

I really enjoyed this story and I think it's a perfect book for any science fiction fans. The characters are great and the world is great. I would suggest anyone who wants to read this to read the first 2 books in the series first as otherwise the beginning of this book is rather slow and I was quite confused by it. That was the only thing that stopped me absolutely loving this book. It's still a great book and definitely worth reading. I just wish I had read the first two books first.